Saturday, August 29, 2015

Part of My Job as a Pastor

As a pastor, one of my duties is to "hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that [I] may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it (Titus 1:9)." Usually, pastors learn over the years how to maintain the former in the quote above but find it difficult to bring ourselves to do the unfortunate task of the latter. We cannot stand by and watch our friends and family get sucked into false teaching and led away from Christ. By listening to sermons by local churches and reviewing them, we try to awaken others' discernment for truth. In reviewing sermons, I compare the preaching I hear with what the Bible actually says. Many heresies and Bible twistings that I discover as a result will sound familiar.